Sunday, June 3, 2012

Gaming for Education


GAMING: Game-based learning has been on the cusp of being “the next big thing” for a while now. Perhaps 2012 will be the year. With the flourishing of mobile technologies, with the promise of data and analytics, and with a realization that we can create new and engaging ways to move through lessons, we are likely to see an explosion of educational gaming apps this year. The big question, of course — with this as with every new ed-tech development: does this actually improve learning? When is a educational game fun? What makes it engaging? What makes it actually educational? (Watters, 2012).


I’ve been reading articles here and there about using games for learning in multiple content areas.  It makes sense to me.  I thrive on playing (and beating) games.  Two of my favorite toys growing up were a Speak N’ Spell and a Speak N’ Math.  I learned to type from typing games.  I was all about a math version of space invaders. I’m a nerd.

Those games and toys were pretty obviously educational in nature, which was okay with me because I liked getting things right in school, so winning an educational game was a lot like that.  What will contribute to the success of gaming for education will be that the games have the components that make current video games so successful: a progressive, interesting storyline that requires accomplishments built on accomplishments, multiple methods of moving to the next level, earning stuff to use in the game not points (Carleton College, 2008).  While at the same time as the fun stuff, the games must require students to be learning and applying knowledge and thinking skills to progress in the game. 

I tried out my first game in the classroom just last month.  It was an online roller coaster simulation builder.  I had checked out quite a few of these in the past but was usually unhappy with their potential for take away learning for the students.  Then I found the Coaster Creator made by National Geographic’s The Jason Project.   I ended up using the game with both my physics courses, Conceptual Physics for juniors and seniors and AP Physics B for sophomores, juniors and seniors.  For the CP students, we used the game as a learning device for the types of energy transfer that goes into roller coaster design.  For the AP students, the game was a review of that material as they were gearing up to build roller coasters of their own.  

The game ensnared both courses of students, with groups of students within the classes vying to be the top score.  But not only were they trying again and again to earn the points, they were doing it while using the terminology and thinking that went along with the subject matter.  I overheard, “No, no, put in a hill.  There will be more track so there will be more dissipated energy.  We have to get it to stop at the end.”  Also heard, “If we have more riders, we’ll have more potential energy to start so it will make it around that loop.”  

One interesting thing to note: when i was talking this over with the technology trainer at my school, she asked if there were any differences in interest level between the boys and girls.  When I stopped and thought about it, I would say a high percentage of the guys were in to playing again and again than the girls were.  There definitely were some girls who kept it up to the end of our time with the game, but more of them drifted away from active interest than the guys did.

Being a bit of a gamer myself, I really liked learning who Jenny Levine is, the Shifted Librarian. My library had a few Apple IIe computers that you could sign up to play games on in the children’s section of the library when I was younger, but she’s taking it to whole new levels making sure that the technology available is up to date as well as her knowledge of how that technology can be used is up to date. I think I’m going to have to check out the children’s section at my library and see if they’ve been “Shifted”.

Chris Dede's is another one who is looking into gaming and immersive technologies for education.  Take a look at a short presentation introducing his research:




Carleton College. (June, 20, 2008). What makes a good game? Starting Point: Teaching Entry Level Geoscience. Retrieved from http://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/games/goodgame.html

Coaster Creator. National Geographic: The Jason Project. Retrieved from http://www.jason.org/digital_library/4851.aspx

Watters, A.  (January 3, 2012). 12 education tech trends to watch in 2012. KQED: Mind/Shift: How we will learn. Retrieved from http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2012/01/12-education-tech-trends-to-watch-in-2012/

No comments:

Post a Comment

A+